In the gym, you generally see two kinds of people, one who think they are unfit because they are really fat and other who think they are unfit because they are too thin. The total idea of fitness is flawed. In my mind fitness is how healthy you feel when you get up and anyone in this world can be unfit no matter how physically smart he looks.
It’s all in our mind, we have an image of so-called perfect people and everyone is running a race to become that perfect person who doesn’t exist.
I challenged a so-called fit person for a plank challenge and seeing me he said that I will beat the shit out of you. I am much fitter that you are. We started on day 1 and I didn’t do great. His timing was much better than mine. I came back home and promised that at the end of 30 days I will beat him.
During my journey of 30 days, I experienced the following –
- Train your mind and not your body – It became very difficult for me at the start but a friend suggested to read news while doing plank which worked wonders. It increased my timing by 10 seconds. Try once.
- People will always discourage you, don’t let that affect you – Many people at the gym told me things and it was not helping me. My trainer came to me and said look into eyes of the person who is telling you S**t and don’t say anything. It really helped, people then thinks you are damn serious and they stop.
- Consistency is the key – I started with 24 Sec and on day 30 I was at 3 Min 4 Sec. Do I need to say anything more?
- Set progressive goals – Tomorrow should be better than today being the only motto that helps and always will. I used to keep +10 sec target every day. Someday I achieved it someday I didn’t.
- Don’t underestimate anyone ever – We have seen this time and again that people who are underestimated are the ones who achieve so much in their life. He underestimated me and at the end he lost. Remember that Rabbit 😛
- Announce whatever you want to achieve it helps – Social pressure is something which always helps you follow the first two points mentioned. I did it in front of everyone in the gym.
Don’t accept anyone’s definition of how you should look and how fit you are. It should be how you feel and think about yourself. Live life on your terms and don’t let others make you believe something that is non-existent. You can read how I lost 23 kgs in 6 months time and lifestyle changes I did in order to be healthy.