Being an MBA we think that we know it all and hence often overlook the most important aspect of one’s life that is HEALTH. ‘Health is Wealth’ very rightly said by someone but followed by very few at the B Schools. There are many misconceptions in one’s mind about health, we often tend to think that a lean person is fit but rather health has nothing to do with sizes. It’s just a fat person can be healthy and a lean may not be. It’s the lifestyle which makes us healthy or unhealthy.
Being in a B School people always have a time crunch and that’s the point if being in a B School you say that you don’t have a time than what kind of manager you are. THINK!!. Manage time and you can manage anything and everything. Work as if you have 26 out of 24 hours or at least live like it so that others think of you in this way, makes you physiologically healthier. B schools have aa hell lot of classes, we generally don’t pay attention during classes and that in turn waste much of our time in B School. Stay awake and attentive in your class and hence you can save the time needed to stay fit and healthy.
Some of the think which I have followed in my journey to become fit and healthy are mentioned here may be they can be of help –
- Prioritize – We often want to get fit but we always have that one important thing that stops us from going for a run or gym. Hence you will have to prioritize and once you do that successfully you will climb the first ladder to a fit and healthy life.
- Patience – Just as in your career you cannot grow instantly and it take times. Similarly, the body and a lifestyle that you have built in last 20-25 years cannot change overnight and hence be patient and you will see result in the due course.
- Start Small – One big mistake that we all tend to do is, ahh my assignment submission is over today lets go to gym and you spend 2 hours in a gym followed by nothing. Its the biggest mistake. You should always start small i.e. taking a walk, a small run, skipping rope, skipping cheese & mayo etc. and make it persistent in your lifestyle, do it regularly and hence change your lifestyle slowly in order to have a long term effect. I started using stairs to my room on 6th floor and is doing it since last 315 days.
- Be Continuous and Persistent – Continuity is the key to success in each and every aspect of life and hence whatever you start it slow and do it regularly in order to develop a healthy lifestyle. Assignment, Conference, Conclave, and Placement etc should not be an excuse for skipping the routine.
- Sleep – It is a luxury which we cannot afford in B Schools, most of us will believe the said statement. Amid all the submissions, cases, conferences, visits etc take out some time to sleep continuously for 5 hours and that will be more than enough. We often neglect sleep and it becomes the biggest hindrance in staying fit and healthy.
- Seek out healthier Alternatives – Don’t skip a party as you are on a diet, rather always seek out for healthier alternatives when you go out. Change your eating habits, don’t eat less rather regulate your diet in order to be fit.
- Make it Fun – Most importantly till you enjoy it and embrace it you cannot sustain a workout. Make small goals achieve them, reward yourself, find a workout buddy, be competitive, include variety of workout in your schedule i.e. Running, Waling, Cycling, Gymming, Swimming, yoga, aerobic, Zumba etc.
I have followed meticulously each and everything that I have mentioned above since last 11 months and have lost around 23 kg. Always find a motivation behind a workout and you would never fail I had mine and as we say behind every successful man we have a ….. Yay you guessed it right.